Thursday 29 July 2010

Changing the Future

Somebody said to me earlier in the week that business will seek locations with quality local energy supply. This is 15 maybe 20 years down the line but two things struck me. It is within my working lifetime (not just my lifetime), and it is a real issue.

Fossil fuel depletion is challenge for all of us. How much it costs us to commute to work, go to the shops, heat our house in winter and where we go on holiday in the summer. For business leaders it is even more of an issue. How do I keep my manufacturing plant running 6 days a week, how much does that cost me, can I afford to run a data centre in this location, where is my power coming from?

For most of us this is a bridge we will cross when we get to it. Electric/Hydrogen car, solar heating, a wind turbine in the garden. When my fuel bills hit £300/month I'll think about it.

But what about our policy makers, our leaders today and our leaders in the future. Are they planning, getting ready, pushing boundaries and making changes? If they aren't what are you doing to help them realise? What can you do? You'll find it is more than you realise...

No comments:

Post a Comment